This Privacy notice is for visitors to our websites, apps and other digital platforms. It sets out how we use personal data that we hold about you and gives information on how to exercise your legal rights. In this notice ‘we’ and ‘our’ means Georgina Kelly which operates this platform.
What personal data will you process about visitors?
If you register for an account on our website in order to comment on an article, or receive selected newsletters, you will need to provide us with your full name and email address.
If you contact our Customer Services team, we will need your name and contact information as well as full details of your query.
We collect data about our website’s visitors using technology such as cookies, device IDs, IP addresses and location data. This can include information about your location, the type of device you are using and your online browsing history.
We may also match your cookie data with this third party data, and aggregate this data into interest-based segments or profiles which we use to develop our products, or serve you more relevant advertising. Sometimes we share these segments with other publishers so they can show you advertising on their websites. We can also pool these segments with those from other publishers so that advertisements can be shown across multiple websites to readers whilst limiting the number of times you see the ads.
We can also access information from social media activity such as when you ‘like’ the website, share content or follow us on Twitter. When you sign in to the website using social media you grant permission to the social network to share some of your details with us. Depending on the network this will include basic account information such as name, email address, date of birth and any other details you choose to share according to your particular social media account settings.
For what purposes do we use this data?
- Verifying your identity (for example when you return to the website and have already logged in)
- Improving the design and style of the website
- Informing you about products, services or promotional offers that you might find interesting if you have chosen to receive these type of communications.
- Sending you service messages about your subscription or account registration, for example if you have clicked a password reset link. This could be by email, overlay on the website or push notification.
- Dealing with, and responding to you about, a comment you have submitted for or on our message boards, blogs and other such user generated content facilities
- Enabling you to share our content with others using social media or email
- Communicating (and personalising such communication) with you through our newsletters, but only those you have consented to receive.
- Administering competitions and informing you if you have been successful in any competitions or promotions
- Compiling customer reviews
- Conducting market research
- Dealing with any query or complaint you submit to our customer services team. Only provide sensitive data (such as information about your health, race or religion) if you are happy to consent to our using it to manage your enquiry
We will only use your personal data for advertising and marketing, personalisation of content and services, advertising analytical purposes and to track eCommerce purchases if we have your specific consent to do so. This includes the use of data provided by you and our partners for profiling purposes in order to generate revenue from you so we can improve our products and services.
The legitimate interest pursued by us to analyse our Website traffic in order to maintain the service, for example monitoring successful page loads or error messages.
We will keep your information only for as long as it is relevant and useful for the purpose for which it was originally collected.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to comply with applicable laws and government or regulatory bodies’ lawful requests for information.
Your personal details may be shared with third party organisations we have contracted to provide services to us which include processing data – for example, to send you the emails you have signed up for. We will only use companies who can provide adequate safeguards to ensure your data is stored and handled securely.
We may also have to release information because of a legal requirement on us or pursuant to a court order.